Wednesday, July 28, 2010

A hard days journey...

July 26

It took 2 taxis, 2 planes, and 11 hours flight time + ground time between, but I made it to Singapore!!

I have to say, Singapore Airlines is much more hospitable than Virgin Blue (an Aussie local carrier I took from Cairns to Sydney), and goo thing, the flight from Sydney to Singapore was about 8 hours. I knew things were going to be different when the brought me the warm towel right after I took my seat... and again later in the flight!! They movies on demand, cocktails, and food, all FREE!! Plus, the seats were a little more comfortable.

When I got here, I grabbed a taxi to the hotel. I told him where I was staying (hotel name & address) and he seemed to know exactly where it was... which I thought was very odd since I'm staying in what you might call a pretty budget hotel for Singapore. So I sat back and took in the scenery as he made his way through the city. Then he pulled up at the Regent Plaza Hotel... instead of the Regin Hotel where I am staying. Once we sorted out the error, he turned off the meter and headed off, apologizing the entire 15 minutes it took for him to backtrack toward the airport to my hotel. He was "sorry for wasting my time"... this sure ain't a Chicago cabby!! During our trip, he told me how he has to work 10-12 hours day because he has to drive 400 km before he starts to make any money for the day... that's about 250 mile of taxi rides before he starts to make any money. He wasn't trying to get sympathy from me, he told me this before we discovered he went to the wrong location. Just to clarify, the room at the Regent is for one night, what mine will be for the 4 nights I'm here.

I pooped, so time for bed... does anyone know what time it is... I've lost track.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Cairns to Singapore

No comments:

Post a Comment