Friday, July 30, 2010

Vanity or just fashion...

One thing I have noticed in Singapore, is that everyone (well almost everyone) is concerned with their appearance. When I checked into the hotel, they gave me a bottle of fresh water and a toothbrush, which I believe was the make sure that i keep in good personal hygiene while in Singapore (the water wasn't for brushing, just keeping hydrated as... I later learned). I had read that personal hygiene and grooming is part of the Singaporean culture, but as I spent time here and walked around to see the city, it became more apparent. Not only does the government try to keep the city looking impeccable, they want the people to represent the city well too.

The women are well dressed and fashionable, and the men are well groomed and usually wear "smell-good" - ie cologne. Many of the women seem to wear dresses and skirts with blouses, whether going to work or the mall. They generally look stylish and put together when the are out and about. Most of the woman are also thin and in good health, well generally (there maybe an opportunity for an orthodontist or two here). Despite the oppressive heat, most men wear shirts with collars, long pants, and dress shoes... I had trouble with the heat in just shorts and a light shirt, and my travel wear made me definitely stand out in the fashion arena.

As is common in places where everyone has very dark hair... and sometimes a lot of it, I saw a lot of salons and grooming places. I actually happened to see several women having their eyebrows plucked and waxed through the windows. Many of the billboards and signage in malls and around town emphasize "Beauty" or looking your most beautiful. It is a little more direct here than in the US because they come right out and say, 'come here and we will make you more beautiful'... I don't know how best to describe it, but it is different saying it directly rather than just implying that things will make you beautiful as we do in the US. The overall implications of the message are more subtle in some respects, but the language is more direct... I guess its just my observation and impression of an Asian thing.

In one mall, I saw a similar place catering solely to men... and others who do both.

BUT then there was this...!!


this was their ad in the window...


I guess this was as direct as you can get... a really direct "hard" sell for manscaping!!... sorry, that was just too obvious...

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Singapore

No comments:

Post a Comment