Saturday, August 21, 2010

Breakfast & lunch in the bush...

As you know, I'm a foodie so I had to try some of the local flavors while in the bush. Tim & Brenda are also doodies, so he had everything packed up and ready for our trip. We would start the day out driving and then stop along the way at a picnic site to make breakfast or lunch.

At one stop, we had a couple of very pleasant guests... well, if you're into lions. You may not be able to see him, but in the center of this picture there is a young male lion in the bush just hanging out. He's there just o the right of the big green bush, behind the smaller grey bush...




Oh, I should mention... moat of the picnic spots had fences (wooden posts with not much protection) around them but this one was completely open to the plains. There were two lions and they were about 100 meters away (that's the length of a football field) and they could have run that in under a minute or two... We weren't too worried, because had a couple of these guys hanging around to signal us if the lions were coming. And, there was a little old lady I was confident I could outrun, but Tim had the keys to the car so I may have had to go a little further to the bathrooms.



Here we are at one lunch site over looking the bush...





...and the view was amazing


This was the place where the monkey stole our loaf of bread while we weren't looking... but the attendant chased him into the bush and got it back for us... well, almost all of it, the monkey did get a little of it before he got to him. But we just cut off the monkey end and it was fine.

Here we are at a lunch spot... see the protective log fence behind Tim?? That would have kept out those pesky lions if we had had one...


A little kudu sausage...



It doesn't look that great here, but it was very good... and we saw a lot of kudu on safari so there should be an endless supply.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Krueger National Park, South Africa

No comments:

Post a Comment