There are a lot of politics here... and I'm learning some of the basics through my friends. I'm not that well versed on international politics or history, so I don't know that much about the details of SA's history. But in reality, this is still a very young country since the transformation from Apartheid in the 1990's. One thing that is interesting about that, is that racial discussions are very open and nothing is tabu (like at home). There are regular discussions in the media and racism is confronted by everyone here right away, in the open... not that there is a lot of direct racism still, it does come up as part of the news cycle on occasion. There are definitely 2 economies here - a black one and a white one, but they coexist in ways we could learn a lot from at home. The reality of the poor vs the rich is everywhere... there are upper class blacks but most are still very poor and uneducated. There is 25% unemployment but all sectors of the country try to employ as many people as they can to make sure that people have jobs if possible... ie my friends have a maid and a gardener (which is the status quo) in order to employ a couple more people. They don't really want the help, but do it because it's expected... and nice to have.
Also, everywhere we go there are extra attendants and people helping in parking lots, stores, parks, etc. Much of these jobs are probably not necessary, and wouldn't exist in the US, but there is a sense of duty here to try to provide as many people as possible with a way to earn their keep. There is social security, but I think many people would rather earn their way than collect it from the government... I'm not sure about that, but that's my impression. It is also refreshing to meet service people who are happy to have a job and who seem to truly enjoy what they do. They aren't bitter that they have a service job, like many at home, and they are happy to have the job and contribute as best they can. I have to admit, some have it pretty good, except for the pay... we met several people who's job it was was to oversee the picnic areas in Krueger and help the tourists that come by. That means they would sit in one of the most beautiful natural parks in the world and watch the animals... and occasionally greet a tourist and wash a couple of dishes or set up a BBQ pit for them (as tourist, this was amazing... the guards come by after we are done and offer to wash up for us... and not expect a tip for their help, it's part of their job). I think that some of these people actually live on the property too, so they don't have to travel to and from the park each day. A couple I talked to seemed to really enjoy the experience.
One of the striking things about the issues here, is that they are "in your face, all the time" (as my friend Brenda put it). People aren't afraid to talk about them... at every level and position, and no matter what the topic, people are willing to discuss and debate the issues. At home, it seems many of the view points get pushed under the rug or are clouded by 'a reelection agenda' and a real, true debate never emerges. Also, the common man/person here voices their opinion while at home, many of the people are not well versed enough to form their own opinion (myself included many times) so they follow the opinions of others in the media and political scene. Not that that doesn't happen here, but it seems the debate is ongoing with much more participation form the masses. I have to admit that I've only been here a very short time, but I have been getting a feel for the environment through my friends and what little media I have been exposed to.
I understand that this is not an ideal situation for some/many people here, but I think the country is on a path to becoming a really great place for everyone who lives here. I have to remind myself that what we think is best for people isn't necessarily is best for them OR what they want for themselves. I think that we in America often forget is that our way of life isn't the best for everyone everywhere... despite what Mc Donalds and KFC think (they are everywhere). I personally am grateful to learn about how other cultures have evolved and now live, and I'm offended when we in America try to force our products and way of doing things on the world. I am regularly amazed at how many American brands permeate the streets and stores wherever I travel... and I think we have proven that McyD's isn't the best for us at home, so why would it be that great for the rest of the people of the world... but the corporations keep spreading their influence... for better or worse I guess.
Part of my adventure was to see the people and new world cultures, in order to better understand myself and "my world"... that's kind of deep, sorry. I hoped to be exposed to things I had never seen before and experience things I could have never imagined... and to some extent, I'm doing that. But when I trek to a remote outpost in the middle of nowhere and come upon a KFC, it takes some of the mystique and specialness away from it all... I can give Coke a break, which is everywhere, since they have been at their world domination plan since WWII... and I love Coke Zero (I'm a CZ addict).
Just a couple of my thoughts along the way... more to come, probably in my next blog or book : )
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
Location:Pretoria, South Africa
No comments:
Post a Comment