I moved on from Simons Town to Cape Town this morning, and it's a wonderful city. It is as metropolitan as any city I have been to. I got in late so I wandered around to get my barrings. I'm staying a wonderful B&B which is run by James. He gave me the lowdown on what to do here but I only have a couple of days so I will have to move fast and ferrous.
August 28
Today, I went on a tour of the wine country, which is amazing. Some of the vineyards in South Africa have vines that are over 300 years old, so they are pretty good at making wine. They got the vines from France way beck when the French kicked out the Protestants and they came to SA in search of religious freedom. The wines here are pretty good but I don't know if I went to the best producers in the country. I had an all day tour of 3 top regions, and the drive was worth the price of admission. Who knew that the countryside outside of Cape Town, and a lot of SA for that matter, is so damn beautiful.
A vineyard in Stellenbosh
We also went to Franschhoek and Paarl wine regions. Thank goodness I had a driver.
The whole drive was pretty much like this... only much more beautiful in person...
Oh, and along the way back we stopped at a cheetah sanctuary. I didn't pay to pet one, but we got pretty close.
They also have a bird part too.
Then wee went by the prison where Nelson Mandela stayed and was released from... now there is a statue honoring him there.
Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
Location:Cape Town, South Africa
No comments:
Post a Comment